Areas of Practice
Scott Singer, Esq.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
Scott Singer practices commercial real estate and general business law. Mr. Singer's commercial real estate practice includes: acquisitions and dispositions, real estate development, joint venture development agreements, commercial leasing including office, industrial and retail, lease disputes, lease remedies, lease remedy consultation and strategy, brokerage agreements, financing agreements, construction agreements and disputes, and all aspects of the ownership, management, construction and development of commercial real estate. The primary focus of Mr. Singer's commercial real estate practice is major office building and shopping center representation on behalf of both Landlords and Tenants, which includes leasing on behalf of various institutional office Landlords, and retail leasing on behalf of various publicly traded tenants. Mr. Singer counsels major landlords and tenants with respect to negotiating and structuring complex lease work out agreements. Mr. Singer's business law experience includes: limited liability company, corporate and partnership formation and maintenance, restructuring transactions, business purchase and sale agreements, asset purchase agreements and financing, and partnership workout agreements and dissolutions. The majority of Mr. Singer's entity formation practice involves joint ventures for the purpose of constructing, holding, or investing in real property.
Mr. Singer received his law degree from Southwestern University School of Law in 1996. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the University of California at Riverside in 1993.
Mr. Singer serves as the current director of the Contra Costa Bar Association, Real Property Section.
- Ongoing representation of PetSmart in lease transactions nationwide.
- Ongoing representation of RREEF with respect to major office leases in the Bay Area, which includes major transactions with publicly traded tenant organizations.
- Ongoing representation of AFL-CIO Realty with respect to various office lease transactions ranging from 10,000 square feet to corporate campuses of 80,000 square feet.
- Ongoing representation of ALF-CIO Realty with respect to all retail, office, and industrial projects in the State of California, including 400,000 square foot power center.
- Represented Boeing Realty Corporation with respect to 25,000 square foot office lease.
- Ongoing representation of San Francisco Financial District Landlord with respect to all office leasing activity in 150,000+ square foot office building.
- Ongoing representation of Clarion Realty Services (ING Clarion), with respect to all office leasing activity in 100,000+ square foot office building.
- Ongoing representation of Madden Family with respect to 75,000 square foot mixed use project in Livermore, California.
- Represented the Covello Group in 10,000 square foot office lease.
- Representation of various shopping center developers in land acquisition, entitlement, construction contracts, leasing, covenants, conditions and restrictions, and sale of completed shopping center.
- Ongoing representation of major shopping center and office building owner with respect to leasing, evictions, tenant disputes, and other management issues.
- Ongoing representation of commercial real estate management firm and representation of most properties under management.
- Ongoing representation of shopping center ownership in development and leasing of new construction within existing center, and drafting of covenants, conditions and restrictions.
- Represented buyer of multi-family units in several acquisitions of buildings of 100+ units.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
Mr. Singer is an active author in the subjects of commercial real estate and real estate transactions. Mr. Singer contributes or has contributed to the following publications:
- Miller & Starr, California Real Estate, 5 volume forms series – the most widely used and accepted real estate forms for California attorneys.
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, "Office Leasing" 2 volume series.
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, "Retail Leasing" 5 volume series (in publication)
- California Real Property Journal, Real Property Section of the California State Bar; "Case Alert: Woodman vs. Sofa U Love" regarding acceptance of partial rent payments after the filing of an unlawful detainer.
- Institute of Real Estate Management Newsletter "Subleasing from the Master Landlord's perspective".
Mr. Singer is an active and frequent lecturer on various subjects related to commercial real estate, including:
- California Continuing Education of the Bar, office leasing presentations in the entire Bay Area (various locations) in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008
- Building Owners and Manager's Association ("BOMA"), various leasing issues and toxic mold presentations
- International Council of Shopping Centers ("ICSC"), various issues relating to work letters, including mechanic's liens and bonding, and notice of non-responsibility issues
- Sterling Education, various courses on lease drafting and California lease remedies